Head lice. Just hearing the topic makes most people immediately start scratching their heads. We don’t all have the knowledge or experience to know what is or isn’t head lice. This may lead you to the question: Do I have lice or am I paranoid?
No one wants head lice, but for some, they represent a near phobia (or even a true phobia: Pediculophobia, is the fear of lice). Just the idea that there are seemingly invisible bugs crawling on you is too horrifying to imagine. But that’s exactly what many people do. Imagine. Just reading about lice or hearing the word can make many people start scratching!
WHY IS MY HAIR SO ITCHY BUT NO LICE?
So you’ve had your head checked and re-checked and now you wonder why is my hair so itchy but no lice are there? There are a few reasons people ask why is my head so itchy no lice are there? Here are a few:
– Dandruff is a condition of the scalp that everyone gets. It causes itching resulting in flaking off of the scalp.
– Weather can suck the moisture out of your skin, making you itch. Hot humid weather can make you sweat which can build up on your scalp and also make you itch.
– New hair treatments. If you’ve started a new hair care regimen, it’s possible that your skin is sensitive to the new products. If you’ve recently had your hair colored or permed or treated, those salon chemicals can have a very drying effect.
– New laundry products. It’s possible if you’ve changed from your regular products that your clothes or bedding are making you itch.
– Head lice treatments. Unfortunately, most of the products that are available over the counter or by prescription are by design and necessity, harsh. These are known to dry out the scalp – which again, makes you itch. Even if you haven’t used any chemical products, just the simple act of excessive physical combing (and rubbing and poking and prodding and pulling) can irritate the scalp, and you guessed it – make you itch.
– Phantom Lice Syndrome – Psychosomatic lice. Just thinking about lice can make you itch, and the more you scratch, the more you itch. And the more you may think you have head lice.
If your head is itching and you are afraid you have head lice or if you are worried that everything you see or think you see in your hair might be lice, get yourself checked by a medical professional.